There is something so freeing and wonderful about finger painting. There are no rules, no boundaries and the masterpieces that are being made are in the artist’s mind and on their finger tips! Anyone no matter what their age or abilities can finger paint. Some might need some help but it’s really such a fun experience!
Yesterday afternoon we had a friend over and finger painted. I made edible finger paint from scratch as both Princess Peach and Little Man S (he’s almost a year old!) are both likely to eat it.
Here’s how you can do it at home yourself.
You will need:
1/2 cup cornstarch
3 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 cups of cold water
1. Mix all of the ingredients into the pot on the stove over medium-low heat. You will need to continually whisk the mixture for 10-15 minutes. It will seem that you are mixing a milk like mixture forever but have patience because it will change!
2. After about 10-15 minutes your mixture will suddenly congeal and become gel like. Once that happens remove it from the heat.
3. I spooned my mixture into 5 different plastic containers
4. While hot, mix the food colouring into each container.
5. This is what all 5 colours looked like after adding the food colouring. Wait until the paint cools before you use it. You can store the finger paint for about 3 days in the containers.
I purchased small canvases from the dollar store. Put the kiddies in high chairs and put dollops of the paint onto the canvas for them to explore. Sure, they both put some in their mouths but their end results were phenomenal!
Princess Peach’s final product. I helped her shmear around the paint!
Little Man S’s masterpiece! He did it all on his own! Amazing stuff!!!
I hope that you will try this and that you and your kiddies will make wonderful masterpieces and memories too.
I would love to hear all about it! xoxo